POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Apr 25, 2014

Sepia Saturday

I am going to change the content of my post today.  
Instead of Linen Post Cards I am participating in Sepia Saturday.  
It's a review of images from our past.  These are personal photos of family and friends.  
* * * * * *
"HAPPY DAYS"
By the mid 50s 
Men's Hairstyles became very important 
for your image.

And they could change from one day to the next 
with the help of a little dab of "brill creme" 
and the flip of a rat tail comb.
That was my oldest brother Ralph "Pluke" by the way and not Fonzy.
This is him again with a 
High School crush around 1959.
Those are probably flat front bright pastel colored polished cotton high waters with a cuff he is wearing. Up to the minute fashion statement.  My guess is Her Sundress probably matches what he is wearing somehow, maybe a crisp turquoise cotton etc..
Girls wore lots of starched petty coats, 
just one more than her friends did.
For that extra Poof one needs to be in fashion.
This Picture was taken about 1961
at our church Valentines Banquet I think.  
They are friends of Jerry my middle brother.

Fun fact: The shortest girl you see there became a High School teacher and for years has secretly been writing Romance Novels.

I was too young to be out and partying; 
but still had the chance to be exposed to all the 
fun, fashion, and music through my older brothers.
click:
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/04/sepia-saturday-225-26-april-2014.html

Enjoy the nostalgia by visiting other SS posts 
from around the world and the net.

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos. Look at that hair!! Loved your description of your brother's pants. I had to read it three times slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I focused mostly on the female side of the '50s so it was fun to see your brother with his different hairstyles. I'd forgotten about that. Guys combed their hair every which way including the ducktail. As for petticoats - the more your skirt stood out, the better! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this and looking at the fashions. This is a little before my time but reminds me of what my aunts would wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the fashions look familiar, but I think the pastel colored pants were probably limited to the South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could very well have been Southern in origin. And to go with those pants the guys bleached their hair. I guess it was kind of "punk" of their day.

      Delete
  5. I remember seeing my brother's friends in these fashions too but I was too young to dress like that. I must admit to enjoying that description of your brother's pants too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those boys' hairstyles! I was a kid in the 50s, but I remember seeing boys who looked just like that hanging out at the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sample of pictures showing the hair and dress of those years, I remember the full skirts and petticoats, and the boys with their Brylcreamed hair

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I remember it well.
    I think I would have fallen for your brother!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos from the jukebox era, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?