POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Jan 9, 2014

Sepia Saturday

Well I hate to admit it
but I am old enough to have some 
family Sepia laying around the house.
Today's theme:
Old photos found in a book.
OK it's not my immediate; but a family related by marriage.  
 It's my father's, sister's, husband's, family.
The Sepia tone photos were found in the home of Troy and Viva.
My oldest brother inherited the home after Viva passed away.  
He never moved their belongings. So when my brother died of a Heart attack everything was just as it was when they lived there.
It is unfortunate that I know little or nothing about this beautiful story.
The two pictures above are only identified as Momma & Papa's picture taken at Porter, Alabama - about 1912 or 1913.  After looking it up Porter is a populated place just northwest of Birmingham, Alabama in Jefferson County.  I grew up in Jefferson County but never heard of Porter before.  It looks like a large family, four boys and two girls.  That would have been Troy's side of the family the Ellisons.  The pictures are taken outside on rough ground, see the tilt of the chair Papa is sitting in.  Looks like some kind of large fabric background hung behind them. 
Oh! I remember  seeing old screen doors like that in my childhood.  
The little boy above is identified as Arthur Allen.   
Don't know any connection to the family.  Do you think he could be the little blonde boy in the front row to the left?  Looks like school books in a strap at his feet. He looks young for school.  Maybe books belong to the one taking the picture.
Look the little girl has books too.  Maybe they are brother and sister.  No identification on her photo at all.  Lord, I did some time in a porch swing myself at my Grandmothers house.  A great place for a child's daydreams to unfold.  Thankfully she looks happier than Arthur Allen.  Maybe it's those new shoes she is wearing. Check out all those buttons.
Now for my favorite.  "Mr. Billy" You can't top this.  The children are Chuck & Grace.  I like to think the two in the wagon are the children in the middle of the front row in the family portrait.  I bet the girl is also the child in the swing.
It's all in my imagination but it makes a good story doesn't it?
Check out other images at 



23 comments:

  1. I especially like the girl in the swing. It reminds me of my mother, because when she was that age she (and probably most little girls of the time) had big hair ribbon bows like the one that girl has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I found your link on my sidebar, but I think you forgot to link on the Sepia Saturday linky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have a tendency to make up little vignettes about the old pictures of people we find with the barest of information or identification or none at all on them. We may be entirely wrong in the stories we make up, but somehow I think slightly fabricated stories are better than leaving the photos totally unidentified in a box or even in an album. So, good for you bringing those pictures to life a little. Why not?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are charming photos. My fav is the girl in the swing, dressed for school and holding her books -- no huge backpacks then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy for your comment. I love the Hair bow and shoes.

      Delete
  5. That goat cart is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those big bows were, I think, in response to Shirley Temple, the little child star of American films...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right on spot about the bows.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful collection, and at least you know where it came from in your family, if the children remain unnamed. They look healthy and sometimes happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fave is the boy seated, pouting on the steps..I have some linen postcards too and had not thought about them before reading this. Interestinbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrica for your note. Hope you check back often.

      Delete
  9. I think that sad little boy is the same as the boy in the group photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh what wonderful photos. The children are so adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, kids are hard to top aren't they?

      Delete
  11. Children and books - a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! kids and pets can't do any better.

      Delete
  12. You're so lucky to have another batch of photos etc to play around with. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now I have to start looking for my side of the Family. I know they are here somewhere. Finding them
      another story.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?