POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Mar 16, 2014

* SUNDAY STAMPS *

This week we have Letters, Post Cards & Post as our theme.
Don't have a lot to choose from; 
but was able to come up with a couple 
commemorating the Post.
 The first Stamp is honoring the Centennial of the  
Overland Mail Service
FIRST DAY OF ISSUE:
OCT. 10, 1958
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIF.  
* * * * * *
My second Stamp is included on a cache envelope celebrating, 
NATIONAL AIR MAIL WEEK 
posted at:
Montpelier, VT. 
May, 19, 1938
 on the back is stamped in red:
 BOSTON, MASS.
MAY 19,1938
AIR MAIL FIELD
It is the oldest AIR MAIL STAMP I had.
 Stamp was issued May 14, 1938
Domestic U.S. Air Mail was formally established only 20 years earlier 
as a new class of service by the United States Post Office Department on
May 15, 1918.

Thanks Joy for the heads up on the Air Mail article.  
Below is the link for your enjoyment.

 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-kelly/recognizing-progress-the_b_579905.html 


Please visit:

12 comments:

  1. Beatiful old stamps. As I post always the stamps I've got myself, they are never so old. But I like looking at the vintage designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have that air mail stamp. It must have been quite a thing to have mail delivered faster by air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Overland Mail stamp and cover is really attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The romance of the overland mail in a cover and what a contrast with air mail. I was so taken with the idea of a National Air Mail Week looked it up and found a fascinating article about that first week with airstrips being cleared etc http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-kelly/recognizing-progress-the_b_579905.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Overland Mail stamp but the National Air Mail Week stamp is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Overland stamp - I see they took a southerly route. And that front horse is rearing dangerously high! Seriously, though, wonderful stamps. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stamps and covers, airmail must have made such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overland mail is clearly very dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating to see stamps with such a lot of history!
    And I agree with Viridian: I was wondering who or what made the horse that wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about the horse but the guy riding shotgun has his eye on something behind the stage that is hurrying them on. Most likely outlaws of sorts.

      Delete
  10. That’s a wonderful engraving on the Overland Mail stamp. Makes us grateful for the service we have now!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?