POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Nov 17, 2013

*SUNDAY STAMPS*

I thought I would take a moment and try something new.  
Hope I get it right.

 

SUNDAY STAMPS IS POSTED BY VIRIDIAN EACH WEEK AT http://viridianpostcard.blogspot.com
The theme this week is Bo-o-o-o-ring Stamps.
I collect Linen Post Cards so most of the stamps I see are from a period between the 1930s and 1950s.
By a landslide the most common and now boring stamp I see is the stamp below.  It is a shame that even George becomes boring after so many appearances.
Reprinted from Wikipedia:
On April 25, 1938 the US Post Office issued a green 1-cent George Washington stamp. It was the first stamp of the famous Presidential Series of 1938, an issue that placed all of the deceased presidents in numerical order, and thus represented a break with the long-standing tradition of reserving the normal letter-rate definitive stamp for Washington. Instead, this Washington issue saw postal duty carrying postcards and letters through the late 1950s. The 1938 Presidential issue was Franklin Roosevelt's idea. An avid stamp collector, Roosevelt suggested a set of stamps that would pay tribute to the various past American presidents. In 1937, after much debate, a new definitive series was issued using Roosevelt's ideas. A national contest was held, with over 1200 entries submitted, a young New York City art student's entry was chosen for the Washington stamp design. The student's name was Elaine Rawlinson.[

7 comments:

  1. So you collect "LENIN" postcards too!

    The post card postage rate increased to 2¢ on January 1, 1952.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Postcardy, Not the first time you caught my careless misspelling. It is good to have someone around to keep me in check.

      Delete
  2. I also collect linen postcards and have just gone through one box of the American ones and see that there are more than I thought wit this stamp on them. Mostly I got bored with the green and red colour of the era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the 2 cent red stamp comes in a close second.

      Delete
  3. You did just fine!!
    I like linen postcards too and collect them when I can. I admit I'm rather cheap and don't like to spend too much money on them. Love the colors and style. Yes I have seen this George many many times. Thank you for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boring but historic nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?