POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Jun 7, 2014

* Sunday Stamps *

The theme this week is Airplanes on stamps.  So my first thought was Air Mail.  I can do that.  Beginning with a stamp commemorating the Wright Brothers, Wilbur & Orville's First Controlled and sustained powered flight by man.  
Flight took place December 17, 1903.

 
First Day of Issue
Dec 17, 1949
Posted Kitty Hawk, N.C.
6 cent AIR MAIL
                                      * * * * * *

 Next is a First Day Cover with a 5 cent AIR MAIL stamp.
First Day of Issue, September 25, 1946
Posted Washington D.C.
 * * * * * *

And now an 8 cent AIR MAIL stamp cover.
Send it by Air


This cover is commemorating the 
New England Air Mail Week
July 1 to July 6, 1946

Posted July 6, 1946
Southwest Harbor, Maine
Stamp was first issued
 March 21, 1944
* * * * * *
Just one more stamp this week.
It is on a Maxi card from 1989
A 25 cent stamp commemorating the 
20th Universal Postal Congress
 First Day of Issue
November 19, 1989
Posted: Washington, DC

The Curtiss Jenny biplane pioneered airmail transport.  
On May 15, 1918, the first regular airmail service 
in the United States was begun between 
New York and Washington, DC.  
This stamp was designed by Mark Hess.

See other Stamps:

11 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful stamps! And alays interesting to know what was when. Nowadays airplanes seem so common, but these stamps reminds us by their history that there were eras that it wasn't that usual :-) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of Air Mail Weeks and wish it was something still celebrated that way. The US Air Mail stamp although familiar is one I always like because the aircraft always appears so massive, possibly because of the way it fills the stamp. I imagine it is loaded with lots lovely air mail parcels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that maxi-card is really nice..some cartoonish stamps can turn out pretty good (though I always prefer actual images)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green air mail stamp really gives an impression of flight and speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful selection of covers, stamps and cancellations, especially the Kitty Hawk cancellation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great collection of stamps and covers. I've not seen any of these before. You made me look at my USA stamps again and I was surprised to see so many plane stamps I could have used..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in that last illustration. How woderful to have so many historic commemorative stamps. I haven’t been to Kitty Hawk but I’ve visited the Wright Brothers’ workshop at the museum in Michigan (originally in Ohio) and seen the Flyer in the Smithsonian.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for the Wright Brothers, though they were just carrying themselves that first day.
    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How different styles in the stamps!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?