POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Mar 21, 2014

Sepia Saturday

With thousands of Post Cards in my collection I have lots 
of cards showing statues and monuments.  I came by this 
interesting card recently and thought it would be perfect 
for our Sepia Saturday theme this week.

WOOLDRIDGE MONUMENTS
A Weird procession that doesn't move.
Erected 1894 in Maplewood Cemetery
Mayfield, Kentucky

Col. Henry Wooldridge, who died in 1899, 
was the person responsible for the famous 
monuments.  All were carved and placed on 
the grounds before Mr. Wooldridge's death.  
It has been said that the monuments cost 
approximately $6,000. Col. Wooldridge is the 
only person buried in the lot.  His body is in 
the stone vault in front of the statue.  The 
slab on top of the vault has a double-barreled 
shotgun carved on it.

also visit:

more sepia saturday linked below:
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/03/sepia-saturday-220-22-march-2014.html

15 comments:

  1. Goodness! What an ego the man had. Like one of the pharaohs building his own pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some family tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and in 2009 falling branches from an ice storm destroyed it. Luckily it has been restored for us to enjoy once more.

      Delete
  3. Now that's a story! Poor guy -- plagued by something so fierce he had to create that incredible burial spot. And, no, I don't think I'd go out there at night! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess some people collect postcards and some collect statues. They say "You can't take it with you," but he did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Postcardy, If I can't take it with me; I ain't goin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some burial plot! Interesting about the mystery of his father - why a statue of him was not included with all the others, including the horse and dogs?!! There must have been a reason, but one which apparently went with the Colonel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a weird procession of statues. It reminds me a bit of the rows and rows of little Buddha statues one sees at temples in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting but in someways depressing. So many statues in one place must be fairly unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of the terra-cotta army in China.

    This was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting. I often write about relatives who died in World War 1 to remember them. I think it is sad when there are no descendants to remember a person. He made sure that he would not be forgotten but sad if it is true that the death of a young love prompted being a life long bachelor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rather strange, but I'm glad to see there were women among the figures there, even if they were only bringing up the rear, and at least the colonel didn't go to the extent of having his relatives and servants mummified and buried with him1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very strange indeed, but quite a curiosity.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?