POST CARD SHOP


See other gifts available on Zazzle.

I Love Zazzle

I Love Zazzle

Jan 31, 2014

Sepia Saturday

 Bringing new memories to old images.

When I was a child I visited this towel shop with my Aunt Hannah, her husband Stud, and granddaughter Jane.  Aunt Hannah was quite a character.  She loved to crochet, seemingly 24 hours a day.  Every towel in our house had crocheted borders.  She bought towels by the pound I think.  They made beautiful gifts for any occasion.  Actually Hannah is the inspiration for this blog.  
She was my Auntie Mame.
   
U.S. HIGHWAY NO. 29, 
CONCORD, NORTH CAROLINA
TOWEL SHOP
"World's Largest Towel Manufacturing Center"
CANNON PRODUCTSTOWELS - SHEETS - HOSIERY - SPREADS - BATH SETS - DISH TOWELS & CLOTHS - BEACH TOWELS - BLANKETS - GIFT SETS.  PRICE LIST MAILED UPON REQUEST. PHONE ST 2-3593 - 736 CANNON BLVD.
CONCORD, N.C.

Card posted:
 GASTONIA N.C.  June, 8, 1965
by Me almost 50 yrs. ago to My Mother & Father,

Dear Mom,
We are leaving our motel now.  
We are having a good time.  See you soon.
Love Mike
Visit Sepia Saturday
http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/01/sepia-saturday-213-1-february-2014.html

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen a linen postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked seeing what I called "bedspread places" on trips. Roadside stores with chenille spreads hanging out front where they could be seen from passing cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I always loved those places as well. Don't believe I ever stopped at one though. Just the drive by view is enough.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a wonderful card, this is so priceless, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never seen a linen post card before either. Never even heard of them. Beautiful - I look forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first visit to your blog & glad I came by. Your blog is lovely! I have drawers full of postcards, just everyday 'modern' ones. Linen postcards sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can almost feel the texture of that linen postcard, Are they quite rare?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lady who crochets all the time sounds like my sort of lady. It's one of my favourite crafts but I've never crocheted a towel - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not a typical holiday picture postcard! Sadly the "World's Largest Towel Manufacturing Center" has closed and moved to Pakistan along with all the other fabric mills in North Carolina. The scraps were probably turned into linen postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How extraordinary to have a world's largest towel manufacturing area. I wonder how they tested the claim. WEhether it is right or wrong, it is a wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A husband named Stud -- I wonder if he was. Anyway, love the postcard and memories of towels with crocheted borders. The only one that survived from my parents' house had a crocheted flower basket rather than border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My God!!! I had one of those as well, a blue one with gold basket,etc.. I thought I still had it. I was going to photograph it and share with the post but couldn't find it. I still may find it somewhere. Oh about STUD. He was the true stereotypical southern cop; But made a wonderful Santa in the town Christmas parade. They were both creative and a marvelous couple. Looking back they were almost like cartoon characters we see on air today. I will never forget how wonderful they were to us kids. We were able to do some traveling with them from time to time.

      Delete

Would love to hear from you. What do you think about this Post?